Do your students LOVE Harry Potter? This beloved, magical story is a favorite of kids all over the world. That’s why a Harry Potter themed day in elementary is always a huge hit!
Who doesn’t want to be whisked away to a magical world? Let your students feel that way by setting up your classroom like Hogwarts and doing some fun Harry Potter activities for kids.
Two days are great for Harry Potter theme day. You can do Back to Hogwarts Day on September 1st, or you can do May 2nd, the day the infamous Battle of Hogwarts took place. Of course, it’s fun to celebrate Harry Potter any day of the year!
How do you do the Harry Potter theme day?
Here are some fun Harry Potter activities for students that you can do to take your theme day up a notch.
- Decorate your classroom: You can make floating candles with toilet paper rolls, construction paper, and clear string to hang from the ceiling. Deck out the class in house colors (red for Gryffindor, yellow for Hufflepuff, blue for Ravenclaw, and green for Slytherin).
- Have a sorting ceremony: Get a wizard’s hat and sort each student into a house. Make it extra fun by awarding “house points” throughout the day and giving a “house cup” at the end of the day to the house with the most points
- Take a virtual field trip to Hogwarts. It’s every Harry Potter fan’s dream to go to Hogwarts. Give each of your students a Hogwarts acceptance letter and head to school!
If you are looking for the perfect Hogwarts virtual field trip resource, I have you covered!
This Wizard School Virtual Field Trip is packed with engaging activities!
Use these interactive, editable Google Slides to easily have students use movable parts, learn about Fiction and non-fiction, the life cycle of a frog, what to bring on a trip and so much more!
This makes for a great book companion that is perfect for virtual or in-person teaching.
What is in this download?
28 Google Slides with Titles, Edit Text Boxes, Directions, Movable Parts
- KWL Chart
- Packing A Suitcase for the Trip
- 1 Minute Take OFF Flight Video
- 13-minute Wizard School Field Trip Video (Review Fiction and Non-Fiction Definitions, Learn about the Frog Life Cycle, and take a Wizard School Adventure)
- Sequencing Events, 3 Writing Prompts, Counting Objects (under 10), Labeling Parts, Frog Life Cycle Song, and Comprehension Questions
- One extra slide for you to add anything you would like to the lesson. (videos or an assignment)
- Home Connection Optional Assignment for students to write a fiction letter, potion recipe, or story.
- Black and white ink-saving Writing Pages and Home Connection Page for in-person teaching.
This themed day is guaranteed to be a hit with your students!
If you’re looking for more virtual field trip ideas, make sure to check out my post here.
What’s your favorite activity for a Harry Potter theme day? Let me know in the comments!