Wearable Sight Words? Why not! Sight word and shape templates can easily be used to create your own sight word dress or t-shirt. Buy a white dress or t-shirt. I found mine at Amazon. Use the templates to plan how you want your dress to look. Place the templates under the dress or shirt to trace the words and/or shapes.
Some ideas for students:
- Let them pick a sight word to color.
- Give verbal directions to students color the word to improve listening skills.
- Play the Go Fish game to build a sight word. That word is theirs to color on the dress.
- Design their own dress.
- Design their own t-shirt.
- Get a fly swatter. Place the words on the floor. Call out a word and have students swat the word.
- Use the Sight Word Journals to write about the daily or weekly sight words.
Last, wear the dress or shirt to school on a special day. See if students remember which words they colored. You will impress the principal as well as remind students of valuable sight words.
I decided not to place any words on the back or top so I could call out a sight word or shape and have students try to find it without touching inappropriate places.
You can add just 5 words a week and make it a reward to color a sight word, then wear it on a special day.
Make the whole dress and have a volunteer work with one student at a time to color their sight word.
Students LOVE seeing their teacher all dressed up in something they helped create! It makes learning new concepts a breeze!
HAVE FUN! Grab the templates HERE.